[Wylug-help] Doms Got A Linux Problem ;)

Lee Evans lee at leeevans.org
Wed Jul 30 14:28:07 BST 2003

> hello all anyway im a windows person and a linux
> newbie (argh) i moved to linux because i heard it was
> very secure and easy to set up as a server

So long as you keep up with security updates you should be okay. Any of
the newer distros are easy enough.

> the thing is on one of my muds (mud 1) the address to
> access it is
> http://mud1.mydomain.com and mud 2 is
> http://mud2.mydomain.com but mud 3 has its own domain
> www.mud3.com how would i set this up

Not a problem at all. You need to setup apache to use virtual hosts
(most default installs come like this). Each separate website will be
defined individually. The ServerName & ServerAlias directive specifies
the names used for the website - the headers in the HTTP request are
then used to direct to the appropriate virtual host.

>and what would be the best version of linux to do so with (im running
on
> RH9 at the (moment)

Redhat should be fine. Configure the up2date agent so that you are
alerted to new packages / security updates for your system.

> another problem i see is that most muds run on port 9000 e.g. you
> connect to mud 1 by telnet://mud1.mydomain.com:9000 (i think) and
> mud2 by telnet://mud2.mydomain.com:9000 and mud3 by
telnet://mud3.com:9000
> wont there be a conflict if all the muds run on the same port

Yes - most likely it wont work. You have two obvious options - a)
reconfigure the muds so they run on separate ports. B) get a couple more
IP addresses, and run each mud on a separate IP.

Regards
Lee
--
Lee Evans