[Wylug-help] Doms Got A Linux Problem ;)

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 14:37:45 BST 2003

Dominic Liversidge wrote:
> hello all anyway im a windows person and a linux
> newbie (argh) i moved to linux because i heard it was
> very secure and easy to set up as a server
>
> right heres my problem:
> im going to run several muds on my machine (Multi User
> Dungeons (Online Roleplaying Games That Use Telnet))
> so say if i hosted
>
> mud 1
> mud 2 and
> mud 3
>
> each of these muds would be in different folders
>
> /mud/mud1
> /mud/mud2
> /mud/mud3
> and each of these would have a website in there
> directory
> the thing is on one of my muds (mud 1) the address to
> access it is
> http://mud1.mydomain.com and mud 2 is
> http://mud2.mydomain.com but mud 3 has its own domain
> www.mud3.com
> how would i set this up and what would be the best
> version of linux to do so with (im running on RH9 at
> the moment)
> another problem i see is that most muds run on port
> 9000
> e.g.
> you connect to mud 1 by
> telnet://mud1.mydomain.com:9000 (i think)
> and mud2 by
> telnet://mud2.mydomain.com:9000
> and mud3 by
> telnet://mud3.com:9000
>
> wont there be a conflict if all the muds run on the
> same port
>
> thanks for reading!
>
> Dominic Liversidge
[...]

Dom,

If you want all the muds to listen on the same port, you'll need to bind
them to different IP addresses. You can do this with the aliasing
feature of Linux's IP stack. It allows you to create virtual interfaces
with different IP addresses.

IANARHU, but in RH9 you'll need to look in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and create your virtual interfaces as
ifcfg-eth0:1, ifcfg-eth0:2 etc... The file format is the same as for
ifcfg-eth0. (IANARHU = I am not a Redhat user).

If you can't tweak the mud software to bind to a specific IP address
rather than listening on all interfaces, bind them to different ports
and use iptables to redirect the traffic from the different virtual
interfaces to the ports.

HTH,

James