[Wylug-help] mod_gzip

Geoff Richards qef at ungwe.org
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:56:53 +0100

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:07:43PM +0100, mikeb@gbdirect.co.uk wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 08:10:54PM +0100, Geoff Richards wrote:
> >
> > I think it's possible to turn it on only for HTML pages, which shouldn't
> > cause problems.  I haven't tried this, but I found a webpage,
> > unfortunately in German, which shows some example Apache config to do
> > compression only for things that won't break browsers.  It has stuff
> > like this:
> >
> >    # JA:   HTML-Dokumente
> >      mod_gzip_item_include         file       \.html$
> >
> >    # NEIN: Include-Dateien/JavaScript & CSS (wegen Netscape4-bugs)
> >      mod_gzip_item_exclude         file       \.js$
> >      mod_gzip_item_exclude         file       \.css$
> >
> > Now you can have fun trying to translate the comments.  The
> > page is here:
> >
> >    http://www.schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/config.htm
> >
> > qef
>
> The problem that we had with Netscape 4 and early-ish versions of IE
> was that IFRAMES screwed up even with HTML contents. That may be bogus
> and old-hat by now.

Ah, in that case just refrain for servers which might be mixing
with iframes I suppose...

I think the GBdirect site used to have one but doesn't anymore.
Unless its lurking somewhere I haven't looked.

--

--- Geoff Richards -------------><-------------- http://ungwe.org/ ---
"I tried to fling my shadow at the moon,