Fwd: RE: [Wylug-help] Linux and Sony DSC-U20 Digital Camera

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:21:00 +0100

(forgot to include the list when replying...)

Quoting Darren Watson <darren@coolpink.co.uk>:

> Hi
>
> I tried the commands below.  The kernel correctly loaded the usb-storage
> drivers and when the camera was connected to the usb port is was listed in
> the usb devices file in /proc

Good...

> When I tried to mount the memory stick with mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt I
> got a message saying that the device is not a block device.  How can I find
> out which device I should use?

Not good... you should seem some quite definate stuff in the syslog indicating
that it found a SCSI disk of some capacity. It will tell you which SCSI device
is assigned to it.

> Another strange thing is that when the camera is connected (even after
> running modprobe usb-storage), the messages log says that it hasn't been
> claimed.

Looks like it probably isn't a mass-storage device then.

> Does this mean I'm out of luck or is there anything else I can try?

Quite possibly. What kernel version are you running?

/me ...googles for a bit....

Try this:

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2003-Apr/1137.html

Seemed to work for some chap. He was using 2.4.19 on SuSE.

James