[Wylug-help] Alcatel speedtouch in linux

Ian McMahon imac at ednet.co.uk
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:12:42 +0100

Hi,
 I found the howto in your web site, I found all the "items" required
to install the modem.

It is very daunting to a complete newbie.
I was using suse 8.2 pro. It didn't want to know the alcatel.

My wife knew I wanted to get linux, she got me RedHat 9 pro.
It wasn't interested in it either.

Then I got the new Mandrake 9.1 power pack.
It detected the alcatel first (and) every time with no problems.
It also set up my desktop correctly, I think it installed 3d
acceleration for my nvidia geforce3 graphics card.

The other distro's did not.

So I go into setting it up for the 'net.

All I had to do was enter the usual details, username, password etc.

then I was asked a few questions about my isp etc.

there comes up a box asking you to select from a list, I can't
remember the exact question, but there are only 3 possible answers
applicable here unless you are on a network, then the other selections
apply to you.

If you have "ordinary" adsl, you would select PPoA which is that
normally used in UK, there is also PPoE. Do not select these.
Select the alcatel modem which is already selected and a note beside
it to say it is connected or working (somwthing like that).

You will not connect if you select PPPoE or PPPoA.
I tried both before I tried the modem and I got onto the net no
problem at all.

Thank you.
Have a nice day.
Ian