[Wylug-help] Remote CUPS printing on Debian

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 09:19:03 BST 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For reasons that are far too complicated to explain, I need to print
> documents from my Debian laptop on a remote machine which manages its
> printer using CUPS.  Unfortunately I have little experience of CUPS,
> even less experience of CUPS on Debian and I'm having difficulty finding
> the documentation (assuming it exists) about using CUPS remotely.

Cups is cracking, and very easy to use.  Easiest way, is to edit
/etc/cups/client.conf, and set the servername to be that of your cups server.
You don't have to run a daemon on your client machine that way.  At your
server end you'll need to make an entry for access:

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From yon.laptop

You probably also want to put an identical entry in the /jobs section to allow
you to delete/query jobs.

Then the cups lpr/lpq/lprm etc should work fine.  Yell if you've still got
problems.

> 1. Does anyone know which Debian packages I need to install on my
> laptop (the package descriptions are not very enlightening)?

No.

> 2. Can anyone point me to documentation about how to configure CUPS
> print servers to authenticate users and accept jobs from other machines?

Hope that'll do in the basic sense.

jh

--
"Democracy means government by discussion, but it is only effective if you can
 stop people talking."