[Wylug-help] Remote CUPS printing on Debian

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Sat Jun 21 17:49:36 BST 2003

Hi all,

For reasons that are far too complicated to explain, I need to print
documents from my Debian laptop on a remote machine which manages its
printer using CUPS.  Unfortunately I have little experience of CUPS,
even less experience of CUPS on Debian and I'm having difficulty finding
the documentation (assuming it exists) about using CUPS remotely.

Idealy, I'd like to use the BSD-style lpr command set on the laptop, cos
it's nearly a decade since I last used the System V stuff which the
default Debian CUPS packages use.  I already have the print server
itself set up to use the BSD command set.

Both machines are on the same network segment and I have no problems
with networking or running any other service on the print server.

So, my first questions are:

1. Does anyone know which Debian packages I need to install on my
laptop (the package descriptions are not very enlightening)?

2. Can anyone point me to documentation about how to configure CUPS
print servers to authenticate users and accept jobs from other machines?

Dave