[Wylug-help] When my kernel sources are in a non-standard place...

Thomas, Nicholas nick.thomas at eldon.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 14:05:08 BST 2003

Hi,

As part of an automated build process, we checkout a copy of kernel sources
from our Source Code repository, and proceed to do some building.
There are no kernel sources in the usual /usr/src/linux directory.
The kernel sources are put somewhere relative to the `pwd` of the build
script.

The problem is that when I see the #include <linux/limits.h> statement, the
compiler is trying to get the headers from
/usr/include/linux/limits.h
Unfortunately the /usr/include/linux is a symbolic link to
/usr/src/linux/include/linux which doesn't exist on my build system :(
So, the build fails.

I can solve some of my problems using the C_INCLUDE_PATH env var. But, I
cannot find a way of influencing where to get the
/usr/include/linux headers.

I know I can mess about with the /usr/src/linux symbolic link from within
the build script, but I want to build this stuff as a regular user - not
root.
I was also hoping to find an easy solution like C_INCLUDE_PATH.

Any ideas?

Regards

Nick

_________________________