[Wylug-help] samba setup

Matthew Palmer mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au
Wed Jun 25 12:46:19 BST 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Andrew Jayes wrote:

>             Having some trouble with samba. Smb and nmb are running and
> I can see the icon for the server on a windows box, however when I click
> on the icon I get a message saying:
>
> \\percy <file:///\\percy>  is not accessible
>
> the account is not authorised to log in from this station
>
> I have root access on the box as well as a webmin web end, can someone
> point me in the right direction, do I need to add things to lmhosts or
> hosts.allow etc. or a site link that has a good overview of the setup

Several things:

* Tell us distro, version, Windows version, etc.  Too many variables.

* Root and webmin have nothing to do with it.  You need to ensure that the
password for the users you're logged in as on the windows box matches the
password Samba has.  For instance, if you're logged in on the windows box as
percy (and typed the password 'freddy') Samba needs to know that the
password for percy is freddy too.

* If you're running anything later than Windows 95, ensure that encrypted
passwords are enabled on the Samba server.  That's likely to be the default,
but check it anyway in Swat.  Also make sure that smbpasswd has the password
for the user crypted up and ready to go.

Those are likely to be the first ports of fsckup.  Once they're sorted out,
if the problem doesn't solve itself, we'll go onto more esoteric things.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16