[Wylug-help] RAID woes

Nik Jewell L.N.Jewell at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 16:27:42 BST 2003

Hi

I've been messing around with a secure linux distro
(http://www.openna.com/products/os/os.php?e=0,13), which installs fine but
refuses to boot.

The system is a Dell Poweredge 2400 with a perc/2 RAID controller.
It has 3 SCSI disks configured as RAID 5.

When booting from the installation CD the megaraid driver for the RAID
controller is installed after the aacraid driver for the SCSI drives.
When installing, looking in the 4th console while installing the drive
appears to be correctly detected as a single 18GB drive, and I can boot
from a boot disk and mount the contents of /dev/sda without problems.

However, the kernel panics on boot:

grsec: attempted resource overstep by requesting 4096 for RLIMIT_CORE
against limit 0 by (linuxrc:8) UID (0) EUID (0), parent (sqapeer:1) UID (0)
EUID (0)
kmod: faild to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-72, error = 2
VFS: Cannot open root device "/dev/sda5" or 08:05
please apped a correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:05

I've checked the GRUB boot config and all is OK (root is indeed on /dev/sda5).

I'm not sure of the meaning of the grsec message, but the modprobe message
is ?? possibly the megaraid module failing to load ??

Using Redhat 9 on the same hardware both the aacraid module and the
megaraid module are loaded before the root filesystem is mounted.

Openna's /etc/modules.conf contains only:

alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

Whereas Redhat's also contains

alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid

So I've added it, but no joy.

The megaraid module is on the system under /lib/modules/...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nik