[Wylug-help] Dabs & Phoenix

Daniel Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 23:12:38 +0000

On Sunday 02 March 2003 9:08 pm, you wrote:
> > I can't order anything.
>
> As a matter of principle, I now take my business elsewhere. If they
Well, I did too, eventually. Cost me about the same once you factor in
something else I wanted that was 7 quid on Dabs and 3.20 on Microwarehouse..

> want my business then they have to fix their crappy website.
> BTW, it did used to work (sort-of) before they `upgraded' it.
And there's no phone number. Tch.

> > Mind, it gets as far as emailing me to tell me "We're delighted you've
> > opened an account with us", but then claims it's database iis knackered.
> > Is this normal OS browser experience?
>
> Yeah, it's the normal experience for any number of sites unfortunately
I note Amazon, dvd.co.uk, and assorted other sites have no trouble at all with
Phoenix. So it's possible...

I've never found a shopping site that works with Lynx, mind. How do blind
people order stuff?

> Looking at the source for this page at Dabs:
>
> http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=139L
>
> it starts:
>
> <!-- Browcap Section -->
> <script language="javascript"><!--
> 	IE4Compat = ((navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") && ...
>
> They then proceed to use & abuse Javascript thus locking out
> non-IE users whilst simultaneously producing a page that isn't
> remotely compliant with any w3c standard in any way.
But it has an NS6 compatibility mode. Is there any sane reason why an
NS6-compatible  site wouldn't work with Moz, apart from sheer laziness on the
part of the programmers? ("Never attribute to malice what can be adequately
explained by stupidity" - Nick Diamos)

> Unfortunately, by using navigator.appName I don't think you can get
> around it by changing your user agent string - some lame sites parse
> navigator.userAgent
The only reason I can see to do that would be to make the text size in IE6
make some decent sense.

> I'd like to know where this annoying practice comes from, it's just
> not necessary, & they lose business & credibility.
>
> I think I might write to the MD & see if I get any reaction.
I emailed them to moan, but no response as yet.

Dan