[Wylug-help] Dabs & Phoenix

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:45:51 +0000

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:16:13AM +0000, Daniel Walker wrote:

<snip>

> > Well Amazon of course use Linux and perl so I guess their developers
> > probably use that to develop on also.
>
> Dvd.co.uk uses ASP and IIS, AFAIK, and that works fine. So even if you're in
> debt to the Evil Empire, it's still possible to support Linux clients.

Sure is. I just put a car up on ebay last night & it was OK although I
had to change the user agent string again which I had mangled to look like
IE for www.rbsdigital.com.

<Shameless plug>
http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/ford/escort.html
</Shameless plug>

BTW, for people who don't know & have problems with Mozilla & some
sites you can change your user agent string by editing
~/.mozilla/default/..... /user.js and restarting Mozilla. I've got this in
mine:

// Some prefs
user_pref("browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.showPopup", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.showSearch", false);

// Override the default user-agent string
// For ebay:
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Netscape/4.7 (X11; U; FreeBSD i686; en-US; rv:1.0.3rc; Really Mozilla) Gecko/20020604");
// For rbs:
//user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98; DigExt)");

// Make pages render quicker:
user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 100);

This is a useful page for Mozilla users:

http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html

It would be useful if like Opera you could change these without firing
up your editor.

I'll put up a page of Javascript on my site so that people can check
their string.

> > A few years ago, due to hardware restrictions, all I could use was
> > Lynx so now I try and check out all my pages with Lynx.
>
> Sadly, of course most versions of Lynx don't do SSL, so you wouldn't want to
> use a credit card. Although I understand there's a lyns-SSL version.

I've come across sites that don't use a SSL to get your credit card
details.....I tend to avoid those sites ;)

> > function makeVisible(theDiv)
> > {
> >
> > 	if (IE4Compat)
> > 	{
> > 	<snip>
> > 	}
> > }
> >
> > err, where's the `else' statement? Duh. The developer has not checked
> > this page in anything other than IE4.
>
> Idiot boy (I assume. it might be a girl) - it might not even work in IE6 then.
> Can anyone confirm?

I can't remember what the assignment is, I think it grovels through
the user agent string and if it's IE >= 4 then it's assigned
as IE4Compat so it probably works.

> > > The only reason I can see to do that would be to make the text size in
> > > IE6 make some decent sense.
> >
> > I can't really make out what the hell the developer was up to. AFAIK
> > there are no showstopping bugs in any of the browsers but when you
> > start to stuff around writing your site around what navigator.appName
> > returns you'll end up with a showstopper like the one above.
>
> Agreed. especially if you leave the 'else' off.

I thought Javascript had become standardised through ECMA so I would
have thought that now there is no necessity to use these kludges
except for older browsers.

<snip>

--

 Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

Droid:  Actually, Microsoft does produce a quality product.

Cynic:  True, but you can't run a server or a decent desktop with just
        an intellimouse...

	- seen on Slashdot