[Wylug-help] understanding traceroute output.

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:46:06 +0000

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:21:28PM -0000, Simon Wood wrote:

> Hi all.

> I have a problem with my internet connectivity. There are a (not
> insignificant) number of websites that I can't access. This has been
> the case since changing ISPs and their support department fails to
> find a solution claiming it is beyond their control.
>
> One site I can't 'see' is www.linuxtoday.com
> <http://www.linuxtoday.com>  - so you can see the importance of this
> call for help :-)

<snip traceroute stuff>

> A web-browser just times out getting the page. I know the site is up
> as I can access it from my work account. My set up is small LAN with
> ADSL ethernet modem/firewall configured to run NAT.
>
> So two questions:
>
> 1). Can anyone offer an idea of what might be wrong?
>
> 2). If it's not me (or something to do with my set up) how can I
> approach getting it fixed?

I had a similar problem when some router near a site I wanted to get
to packed up with regards NS (it was owned by a dot bomb - so I didn't
bother emailing the admin).

So I did something akin to:

$ nslookup www.linuxtoday.com

and then put it into /etc/hosts. Bit of a bodge & I don't know if it
would work in your case. You'll need the order to be hosts then bind
in /etc/host.conf.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.