[Wylug-help] Fw: Antivirus

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:26:37 +0000

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:14:34PM +0000, Bantamess wrote:
> Hello all, I have RH8 installed and wonder if anyone can recommend a good
> antivirus software, preferably free!
> thanx

Am I right in thinking you want to use your RH8 box to screen vulnerable
Windows boxes?  If so, I think you'll find that most Windows-based
antivirus companies (sophos. macafee, etc) have products designed to run
on Linux gateways.

Although theoretically possible, successful Linux viruses are unheard of
and unlikely to propagate in any numbers, even if a desparate anti-virus
company does eventually succeed in writing one ;-)

Worms and trojans are more common, however, good sysadmin and vigilance
are more likely to counter them than anti-virus filters.

Dave