[Wylug-help] Fw: Antivirus

James Holden james at jamesholden.co.uk
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:37:11 -0000 (GMT)

Bantamess,

Welcome windose refugee!

Most of us here don't bother with antivirus software because there are so
few virii for Linux. Just keep an eye out for the odd security
vulnerability. You can subscribe to a mailing list at RH to keep you
informed and download any RPMs which apply.

There are antivirus products for Linux, but the most common reason for
wanting to use one is when a Linux machine is used as a mailserver or
fileserver for windows clients.

If you want to keep your system safe, there are a few simple rules to follow:

1) Turn off any unneccessary services running.
2) Use strong passwords.
3) Disable/delete any accounts in /etc/passwd which you won't want.
4) Don't use the root account for anything other than maintainance.

There are many more things to do depending on how paranoid you are or how
important your system is. For a few tips see:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue58/sharma.html

Also, the vast majority of software in the Linux world is free to own,
modify and distribute. See http://www.gnu.org/ for some of the thinking
behind this.

Regards,

James