[Wylug-help] OT - Windows XP Pro

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 11:27:23 +0100

On Thu, 08 May 2003, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Also, has anyone had any problems with Linux/Samba file servers and XP boxen?

Only "problem" I've seen is that XP Pro seems to (entirely) stall while
remounting a share containing a directory of around 200 entries or more. This
stall can be in the order of 30 seconds over a 100Mb/s LAN. The disks on the
share server are not configured to spin down or anything. I guess it's just
a side effect of the SMB protocol, or the Linux Samba implementation
obtaining index/size information ready for presentation. The sub-folders
in this example total in the order of 20-30GB of data.
--
rik