[Wylug-help] NAT on one physical layer?

Ian Rutson ian at rutson.co.uk
Mon, 12 May 2003 10:07:53 +0100

Not really too sure how to explain this, I know all the inofrmation's out there, but I'd like some pointers.

I've just switched to Zen for my ADSl connection, because I wanted a fixed IP range, so I have 5 fixed IPs to play with.

So far I'm using all five for main Linux server box, Main XP box, Kid's 98 box, Sparc and Mac.

I also have a X-box and a laptop, and other machines that come and go, as well as machines that I build for others that need occasional access.

What I plan to do is put another network card in the Linux server box and run IP masquerading on that to provide a local address range for any other computers that are here.

My question is, can I run the two ranges on the same physical layer, or will the machines on the local address range have to be on separate wiring?

My setup as of now is:

ADSL router -> 5 port switch -> xbox
                             -> laptop
                             -> cable running up the stairs to.....

8 port switch -> Main PC
              -> Linux box
              -> Sparc
              -> Mac
              -> xbox
              -> whatever else happens to be here

So, can I just run another cable fromt he nw net card to the switch on say 192.168.1.1 or do I need a separate physical layer?

--
Ian Rutson
ian@rutson.co.uk