[Wylug-help] [Off Topic] Wireless Network with DSL

Simon Wood Simon.Wood at pace.co.uk
Tue, 13 May 2003 08:54:43 +0100

Further to Steve's comments...

There are several ADSL modems which are free-standing, they usually include=
 a switch or a hub and connect via Ethernet or USB. These cost from around =
=A350 and don't require a particular machine to be power on for others to u=
se the connection. However the 802.11 type tend to be more expensive.

Note: you could use a 802.11 Access Point with any ISP (dialup or DSL), how=
ever this may be against your Terms and Conditions.

If you're on a budget then using Linux (Whoo Whoo!!) you can buy a 802.11 c=
ard which uses the Prism 2, 2.5 or 3 chipset and run a special version of t=
he wireless drivers that turn this card into an AP.
http://hostap.epitest.fi/

[This obviously requires the machine to be on, but that machine can be a bu=
dget =A310 desktop, a knackered laptop, etc..]

You'll need to provide some form of port forwarding to redirect wireless re=
quests back out to the wired network and perhaps a firewall.

I have done most of this apart from the port forwarding - as mine wireless =
net is private at present a simple 'ssh -> wireless router' and then 'ssh->=
 main machine' serves me fine. Perhaps I'll find the time to complete the s=
etup....

If you want more information drop me a email off list, or check out the 'wn=
ap' group - they've done pretty much everything to do with wireless and hav=
e quite a strong group in the Leeds/Bradford area [perhaps they could do a =
'WYLUG' talk?].
http://www.wnap.org.uk/

Hope this helps,
Simon.

PS - I don't think this classes as 'Off Topic'. ;-)