[Wylug-help] [Off Topic] Wireless Network with DSL

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Mon, 12 May 2003 18:15:04 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Salil Khamkar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking of getting a DSL line at my university flat but most of th=
> websites which I have been to (Eg Tiscali) show me the modem as an USB mo=
dem,
> which necessarily has to be plugged into a computer. So basically for sha=
ring
> the internet connection the computer into which the modem is plugged in n=
eeds
> to be powered on.
>
> Anybody has any idea/experience as to which provider gives a modem which =
can be
> direcly plugged into a switch/wireless access point with a builtin switch=
 ?

If you get a "wires-only" service from any of the big ISPs (pipex,
nildram, BTopenworld, etc) then you are free to get whichever
modem/router you want. They may try to sell you one, but don't get it.

Then go to dabs.com, redstore, ebuyer, or any other place and buy an
ADSL router. Some of the routers have 4 port switches, and some also
have built in WAPs, I think they cost around =A3120 for one with a 4 port
switch and 802.11b

Rik suggested one at wylug when he gave his stingray *yuk, they are
horrid!* talk, I think he said it was =A3120 at dabs for the one  he
suggested.

hope that helps,

Steve