[Wylug-help] help needed

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Thu, 15 May 2003 15:43:29 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Dan Walker wrote:

> I'm going to open myself up to potential flames here by saying that you
> probably want SuSE 8.2. Probably the 'Personal' version would be fine,
> although the Professional version has more software, you probably won't need
> it.
>
> As for retail boxed sets, the Suse Downloadable edition does work but you have
> to install via FTP, so you'd need a fast connection, and the SuSE
> documentation in the box is well worth the price of admission, as it were.

I'd suggest either RedHat or Mandrake.  Both of these can be downloaded
or picked up of the front of mags.  If you don't have broadband or a
newsagents there'll be someone who will make you a copy of one of them
(I will, and I'm sure other people here will too)

I find them much easier to use than SuSe, esp for a new user.  I still
mainly use Mandrake, and that's just cos it'll do things for me that I
can't be bothered to set up "properly".  They are also very pretty, the
new RedHat and Mandrake's anti aliased fonts are just amazing!

Both RedHat and Mandrake (and probably SuSe) come with OpenOffice (free
version of StarOffice), and a couple of databases (mysql and postgres
iirc).

As for a web browser, well, I'll get flaming for suggesting pay-for
closed source software, but you can't beat Opera imho :-)

Steve