[Wylug-help] help needed

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
15 May 2003 16:03:25 +0100

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 14:25, bill hynd wrote:
> I have read many features about Linux, but which distribution is the correct
> one for me.
> I use my computer for running a local scout group, where I need data-base,
> speadsheets, and a word processor, I use the internet regularly for
> information and that is where the Linux systems get a little confusing.
> Would you suggest a retail boxed set if so which or is it simple enough to
> download the necessary disks.

Ask 5 linux people which is the best distribution and you will get at
least 6 answers.
A lot of this is down to it being similar issues as to the best car for
someone to use, or the best house... there is a huge amount of personal
issues involved.

The major questions for you starting from scratch are how much
documentation and support do you want, and how much are you willing to
pay for that.  Subsidiary questions relate to what hardware you have.

If you just want to *try* linux out without changing your current
computer system at all then I would strongly recommend looking at
Knoppix, which works on almost all hardware without needing any further
configuration, and runs completely off CD.  You can later install it
although I have never tried this.  Knoppix downloads (you need a 700MB
CD to record it onto) and other information can be found at
	http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
Linux emporium also have CDs of Knoppix for sale.

The major boxed - with documentation - sets of Linux available are Red
Hat, Suse & Mandrake.  Of those I have used Red Hat for a number of
years and am pretty happy with them.  I have had horrible experiences
with Suse and now avoid them as a matter of course (which means I have
not touched Suse in the last 2 years).  I have no opinion on Mandrake.
All of these are available from the Linux Emporium:-
	http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

If you want to do things cheaper or don't care about (printed)
documentation, then look at the various other distributions.  One that
is very good, but tends to be a little out of date and can be difficult
to install is debian.  However the package management including
automatic update facilities of debian are second to none and do not
require any ongoing subscriptions or painful processes to obtain
continuing updates over the network.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Mothering           Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk ]