[Wylug-help] Samba and WinXP

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri, 23 May 2003 14:01:51 +0100

Hi folks,

this looks like another XP problem, but I want to check the Samba side to make
sure.

I've got a Samba server sitting on a RH7.3 box which hosts a DOS batch
containing a number of commands I want running at start-up (route add, audit
s/w etc.).

On my WinXP box I have a short-cut to the DOS batch placed in the startup
folder.

Now if I click Start->Programs->Start-Up->routes it works and the audit
software is started and the static routes added.

However if I reboot the call fails complaining that the path is not valid.

Also, the mapped network drives to the samba server fail to reconnect on
bootup, but work fine of I open My Computer and double click each drive in
turn.

Anyone got any suggestions on what could be causin these problems, which end
the problem is likely to be, or any suggestions on how to fix them, such as
additional logging on the Samba server to detect the problem.

If the problem is - as I half suspect - on the XP box, can anyone suggest good
resources for getting help on XP (I say good, cos the M$ sites seem pretty
poor to me).

--
Gary Stainburn