[Wylug-help] Samba and WinXP

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri, 23 May 2003 14:32:30 +0100

On Friday 23 May 2003 2:23 pm, Steve King wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > this looks like another XP problem, but I want to check the Samba side to
> > make sure.
> >
> > I've got a Samba server sitting on a RH7.3 box which hosts a DOS batch
> > containing a number of commands I want running at start-up (route add,
> > audit s/w etc.).
> >
> > On my WinXP box I have a short-cut to the DOS batch placed in the startup
> > folder.
> >
> > Now if I click Start->Programs->Start-Up->routes it works and the audit
> > software is started and the static routes added.
> >
> > However if I reboot the call fails complaining that the path is not
> > valid.
> >
> > Also, the mapped network drives to the samba server fail to reconnect on
> > bootup, but work fine of I open My Computer and double click each drive
> > in turn.
> >
> > Anyone got any suggestions on what could be causin these problems, which
> > end the problem is likely to be, or any suggestions on how to fix them,
> > such as additional logging on the Samba server to detect the problem.
>
> It's XP Sh*tiness (tm).  The problem with this is that XP won't log onto
> a samba share if you just "use" it, you need to navigate to it first. If
> you do use "my computer" to see a share, I bet the dos script will work.
> It took a not so technical housemate of mine ages to understand this,
> after he kept telling me my printer was broken! Fat chance of that! :-)
>
> > If the problem is - as I half suspect - on the XP box, can anyone suggest
> > good resources for getting help on XP (I say good, cos the M$ sites seem
> > pretty poor to me).

It looks to be a timing thing.  If I wait a while before clicking the OK
button to log in, the startup script works *and* the mapped network drives
are okay.

If I log on without waiting the script fails and the drives fail to connect.

It is as though the machine has finished booting before the networking has
fully initialised - pity really cos if it was a Linux/Samba problem I would
have had some hope in fixing it.

--
Gary Stainburn