[Wylug-help] floppy linux distro with sound support

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Sun, 25 May 2003 11:56:57 +0100 (BST)

Hi

I recently got reminded of something I've been wanting to do for ages but
gave up after quite a bit of googling.  I've had another google, and still
dont see anything to match my needs, and was wondering if anyone here could
help.

What I want is to get an old harddisk-less computer, bung a soundcard and a
network card in, and use it to play mp3s from an nfs/samba mounted share.

I want it to be HD less cos of the noise, and I'm reluctant to shell out for a
CF->IDE adaptor, and a CF card, esp given their faults as harddrives (i.e. the
can only write each bit so many times lark).  Don't tell me to get a quiet HD,
I don't want to shell out any cash on this!  (and my dvd player isn't one of
the cool scan ones with an ethernet jack :-( )

So, what I want is a floppy linux distro which either comes with, or can be
doctored to have, sound support. I'd be happy using commandline mp3 players
(playmp3list is my current fav), and would only ever use this machine over ssh
or telnet, so X isn't needed.

Anyone know of a suitable project?  I have thought about a CD based distro,
but CD spinning noises put me off that one (my silent 4x reader is almsot
dead, and can't read CDr discs anyway). The donor machine I'd like to do
this on is a P233mmx, so it can cope with the task. Ram isn't an issue,
I have bundles of ram for it, I think it has 72 megs. I have a couple of
soundcards, an IDE SB16 PnP, and a Creative PCI es1370 based one.
The hardware is all there, just need a distro!  (I don't think I am bothred
enough to try LFS just yet before anyone mentions that)

It has been suggested that I try and use an nfs-root method, but that does
sound like more effort than finding a floppy based distro that already
supports sound.

As you can guess the reason for this is to be able to play mp3s without having
to leave my mahcine on.  The mp3s are stored on a server in a different room
which are shared both using nfs and samba.

Cheers,

Steve
(sorry to those of you who read SoC news, as it's a repost of something I posted
there)