[Wylug-help] Ambit cable modem (USB) [was (no subject)]

kai.che at ntlworld.com kai.che at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 5 14:16:29 GMT 2003

> From: "James Holden (Wylug)" <wylug at jamesholden.net>
> Date: 2003/11/05 Wed AM 02:22:13 GMT
> To: wylug-help at wylug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Wylug-help] Ambit cable modem (USB) [was (no subject)]

> Idris Fulat wrote:
> | This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> | --
> | [ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
> | Hi guys, just installed Red HAt 9.0 dual booting with win 98 looking
> to migrate over to linux - problem...I need linux drivers for my Ambit
> cable modem (USB). Surely you guys would have come across this one as
> NTL has quite a lot of customers here in yorkshire. Thanks in advance.
> |
> | Idris (Newbie)
> | --

> (Be nice peeps....! I know this guy off list!)
>
> Idris,
>
> Need a bit more info. I don't have one of these myself, but I'll try anyway.
>
> Some people on the internet report that this "just worked", so there's
> probably no need to get any drivers as such. They were using Suse 8.1
> though.
>
> Is it connected through USB or with the ethernet port? USB I gather.
>
> ~From poking around the 'net it seems that you're better off using the
> ethernet port. Then all you need to worry about is getting a network
> card installed and set to use dhcp.
>
> Maybe somebody else could confirm this??

tahts basically it. also thats all ntl will say for using ambit cable modems with linux. "use the ethernet port" "thanks a bunch". but i think the ethernet option is more efficient -- not that what i *think* constitutes fact or concrete observation. if you  you want to use your main computer linuxy to share the connection and use the ethernet port to share the broadband with a second computer its still better to get 2nd network card than to be using usb as the primary connection.

thats my two pence.

it occurs to me that you havent really been helped. but the people working on ambit usb drivers for linux still havent succeeded in writing one for linux as far as i can see.

ill post any findings .