[Wylug-help] WINE and PDA's

Martyn Ranyard martyn at syn.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 14:58:34 GMT 2003

Quoting Andii Bowsher <andiibowsher at blueyonder.co.uk>:

> Thanks Martyn,
> Hmmm, looks like I'm in for a bumpy ride on this as I'm pretty certain that
> it has a USB connection [I'm awaiting delivery as it's a gift from a
> friend]. I know that USB modems are a bit of a problem at the mo and I
> hadn't thought to extend that to other devices too. Shame. But perhaps
> someone else knows different?

Certain USB devices live up to the plug-and-play stuff, others are pigs.
Usb<->Parallel cables for instance, just appear as /dev/usb/lpN.  Devices like
PDAs though are unlikely to do so, if you want to sync with them to a linux app,
then you'ld need a linux app that knows how to sync with it (libusb is usually
the way to do this).  There is an extrordinarily outside chance that it will
appear as a "storage" device, in which case try to mount /dev/sda (I know, scsi
ids for usb devices - horrid) to somewhere, but then you would have to be able
to read the native file types.

If you manage to get the sync program going under wine, check if _it_ has a
serial option, then try to badger the manufacturor or one of their vendors to
get a serial cable for it.

Another outside chance is it will show up as a "serial" dongle, and that the
sync program knows nothing of usb - in which case you might be in luck running
the sync program under wine.

> -Andii

Hope I've given some food for thought. :-)

--
Martyn Ranyard
Development Manager