[Wylug-help] New user needs tips.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 10:31:29 GMT 2003

On Saturday 08 Nov 2003 9:43 am, James Holden (Wylug) wrote:
> Tim Grey wrote:
> | I hope you can help me with my first tentative steps into Linux.
> |

> Maybe RedHat 9.0, or Mandrake 9.2? Both install easily and have
> good hardware detection, Mandrake in particular.

One word of warning.  If you have an LG cdrom do *not* use the
Mandrake 9.2 version currently available without checking for
compatibility.  See http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/LgCdrom
for details.

The latest kernels contain a patch for udf, which has brought into the
open an issue with recent LG drives previously unknown.  In these
models LG programmed the FLUSH_CACHE command to do an
upload_firmware, which results in the drives being fried.

Mandrake are re-rolling the distro with the udf support taken out, and
that version should be available in a few days' time.

Other than that, yes, Mandrake is a good option.  And there's lots of
user-to-user support on the mailing lists and the TWiki (see my sig).

Registered Linux User No.293302