[Wylug-help] Mount trouble

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Nov 9 17:51:47 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have lost proper access to my second hdd (8GB IDE). It is mounted as
 /windows/C
(because that was it's original use 5 years ago). I can copy individual files
to it using cp but when I run a script to copy a load of files (also using
cp) it reports "file system is mounted read only". This not the case  -
output from mount :-

/dev/hda6 on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/hda5 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hdc1 on /windows/C type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=rogerg)

I have tried umount and mounting manually, and also tried as root - same
result. This used to work until I upgraded from SuSE 8.1 to 8.2

I have now gone up to 9.0 - still no joy.

Any ideas short of re-formatting the disc ?

I do not dual boot - it is just a store of data and acts as a backup drive.

All comments appreciated,

Roger Greenwood.

--
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that no one
appreciates how difficult it was.