[Wylug-help] USB memory sticks

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 10:55:09 GMT 2003

After mentioning these to one of our directors he's decided that it's
essential that he has one of these things - why doesn't matter, he-ll think
of something.

Anyway, I've got my hands on it first, so:

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 10:38 am, lists at mungewell.org wrote:
> Hi Gary,
> Most USB memory sticks will be designed as a USB Mass Storage device, and
> presumably be formated MSDOS/VFAT (the one I have is...).
>
> You'll need 'USB Core' and 'USB Storage' in your kernel, insert stick
> and then mount it with something like 'mount -t msdos /dev/sda1
> /floppy'.

I've inserted the memory stick into the USB socket andthen tried:

mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/floppy

but it just comes back saying invalid filesystem.  If I use a different
device, e.g. /dev/sda[23] I get the same error message.

How can I check that the relevent USB stuff is in the kernel, or loadable as
modules?
How can I detect which SCSI device is being used?