[Wylug-help] Sun and Linux ... Help please

Dave Whiteley d.l.whiteley at ee.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Nov 28 11:58:07 GMT 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:43:14AM +0000, Martyn Ranyard wrote:

<snip/>

> > Accordingly, I do:-
> >
> >    DISPLAY=mybox:0.0; export DISPLAY
> >    admintool
>
> Ah... When /I/ run ssh -X user at home.hostname, it automatically sets my DISPLAY
> variable for me.  Not only that, but ssh forwarded X usually is a helluva lot
> higher than :0.0, for example, in my case it's :10.0.
>
> This is a setting in sshd.conf, and is a constant that is added to the ssh
> connection number (counting only ones that are doing X forwarding).  So if you
> connected to the box with X forwarding, then I did, my display would be set to
> home.hostname:11.0  -- NOTE that this is the machine name I'm sshing into, not
> the machine name that I'm connecting from.
>
> <snip>
> > I connect, using ssh, to other Linux boxes, and can run X applications
> > happily from them.
> >
> > Please can someone spot my deliberate mistake.
>
> Probably it wants to be something like DISPLAY=sunbox:10.0

I have found the settings
   # X11 tunneling options
   X11Forwarding yes
   X11DisplayOffset 10

I have tried:
   DISPLAY=sunbox:10.0
   DISPLAY=sunbox:11.0
   DISPLAY=sunbox.leeds.ac.uk:10.0
   DISPLAY=sunbox.leeds.ac.uk:11.0
   DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
   DISPLAY=localhost:11.0

(No silly, I did not really use "sunbox"!  :-) )

Still no go.

Dave

--

Dave Whiteley
d.l.whiteley at ee.leeds.ac.uk
Phone +44 (0)113 343 2059
School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
The University of Leeds. Leeds, LS2 9JT,  UK