Fwd: Re: [Wylug-help] Sun and Linux ... Help please

Martyn Ranyard martyn at syn.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 13:08:18 GMT 2003

I think mike meant this to go to the list as well as me (As I'm just a thread
contributer)...

----- Forwarded message from mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk -----
    Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:02:14 +0000
    From: mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk
 Subject: Re: [Wylug-help] Sun and Linux ... Help please
      To: Martyn Ranyard <martyn at syn.co.uk>

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:43:14AM +0000, Martyn Ranyard wrote:

> <snip>
> > I connect, using ssh, to other Linux boxes, and can run X applications
> > happily from them.
> >
> > Please can someone spot my deliberate mistake.
>
> Probably it wants to be something like DISPLAY=sunbox:10.0

I've seen this before I think (hope I'm right):

It's possible that sshd on the Sun box isn't configured to forward
X at all. There are two ways this can happen: in sshd.conf (or whatever
the blasted file is called) or possibly even in the binary build of sshd.

If, once logged-in on the box, you do
echo $DISPLAY
and it's blank, that is an indicator of at least the former and
possibly the latter as well.

It may be necessary to bypass ssh by doing something like
export DISPLAY=myclient
where 'myclient' is the box you log in from and then if you are
getting connection refused messages or authentication refused,
to try
xhost +name
where 'name' is the name of the sun box. Of course that presumes that your
X server is accepting external TCP connections and your client box isn't
firewalling it out.

Making ssh do the forwarding is MUCH easier if you can do it.

Mike

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Martyn Ranyard