[Wylug-help] Sun and Linux ... Help please

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Nov 28 11:53:03 GMT 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Dave Whiteley wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:33:37AM +0000, Jason Lander wrote:
> >
> > Dave,
> >
> > >    DISPLAY=mybox:0.0; export DISPLAY
> >
> > Don't do that bit.... SSH sets DISPLAY for you to something like
> > localhost:<nn> where <nn> which is the local side of an SSH tunnel to your
> > X server.
> >
> Errrr.
>
> Ok, so I log out of the sun, log in again and try
>
>    admintool
>
> and it just reports
>
>    Error: Can't open display:
>
> Ta, Next?

It might be that the ssh server isn't setup to support X forwarding.  In which
case, you need to run (on your client machine) xhost + sunbox, and on sun box
run export DISPLAY=client:0.0

That assumes that your local X server listens for external connections of
course...

jh

--
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas.  A good engineer is a
person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible.