[Wylug-help] Sun and Linux ... Help please

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 12:15:15 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 11:53, John Hodrien wrote:
> It might be that the ssh server isn't setup to support X forwarding.  In which
> case, you need to run (on your client machine) xhost + sunbox, and on sun box
> run export DISPLAY=client:0.0
>
> That assumes that your local X server listens for external connections of
> course...

Wow - if anyone else can use sunbox you have just given them instant
control of it - you fire up admintool, they take the i/f over through
your Xsession.  And if not xhost based access control is poor enough
that someone on the smae network could break it... possibly if they are
external too.

If its a University network I'd have as basic rules:-
      * Never allow rsh on the network at all
      * Preferably don't allow telnet (or don't run telnetd)
      * Don't allow unsecured X over the network (ie don't allow X
        unless its in a ssh wrapper).

	Nigel.