[Wylug-help] Highpoint Tech RocketRaid 404 RAID card

Felix Ulrich-Oltean felix at chaptereight.com
Wed Oct 1 09:34:34 BST 2003

Hi

We've bought an ominously named RocketRaid 404 card from Highpoint
Technologies.  With the latest drivers, this card is supposed to do
RAID 5.  We've been able to build the raid array, but when it comes to
making a filesystem or mounting the new device, we get errors.

We've contacted the manufacturers for support, but they've been less
than helpful - they're on PST (i.e. -8 hrs) and their e-mail responses
have been hopeless.  We will carry on trying to talk to them, but I
hoped someone here might recognise the error messages or have some
helpful pointers.

Here's what we did:

We downloaded and installed the latest BIOS upgrade, and matching
drivers - these matched our running kernel exactly - i.e. 2.4.20-8smp.
The OS is Redhat 9.0.

After installing the driver, we have a new device:

# cat /proc/scsi/hpt374/3
HPT374 UDMA/ATA133 RAID Controller driver Version 2.1

Physical device list
Controller/Bus/ID  Model                Capacity  Status   Array
1 Channel 1 Master Maxtor 7Y250P0        239372MB  Normal   RAID_5_0
1 Channel 1 Slave  Maxtor 7Y250P0        239372MB  Normal   RAID_5_0
1 Channel 2 Master Maxtor 7Y250P0        239372MB  Normal   RAID_5_0
1 Channel 2 Slave  Maxtor 7Y250P0        239372MB  Normal   RAID_5_0

Logical device list
No. sd         Type         Name                 Capacity  Status
 1  /dev/sdc   RAID 5       RAID_5_0              718117MB  Normal

We then made a single partition with 'fdisk /dev/sdc' which seemed to
go OK.

It's when we try to make a file system that the errors come:

# mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdc1
No such device or address while trying to determine filesystem size

# mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdc
/dev/sdc is entire device, not just one partition.  Proceed anyway? Y

When I procedeed, i got a series of the following messages, which then
locked up the whole machine:

hpt374: Abort called pid 278122 target: 0 lun: 0 flags: 0 Reason: 0
hpt374: Reset called pid 278122 target: 0 lun: 0 flags: 0

Any pointers would be really appreciated.  Is there any other info I
could give that might help pinpoint the problem?

TIA,

Felix.