[Wylug-help] Linux & Broadband

Paul Grenyer paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 11:06:58 BST 2003

Hi

> I have done both and I have to say if your short on space and want a
> cheaper leccy bill then go for a router. The cost is /nearly/ the same
> if you have to buy from scratch, although most people have a spare box
> to hand.

The only thing that bothers me about a router (even one with a
firewall) is securitty. There are rugular fixes and new releases for
IPCop. I Know you can get routers with firewalls that update themslves,
but I just don't feel conifdent with them.

Also, with IPCop you can run two internal networks that are completly
and physically seperate. One which can be accessed from the 'net
connection where you can run a webserver and one that can't be accessed
from the outside.

The downside is that the Pulsar card is nearly as much as a router.

( I don't have enough spare (working) machines lying around. :-( )

Regards
Paul

Paul Grenyer
Email: pjgrenyer at iee.org
Web: www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

Robbie Williams: Bland pop song, after bland pop song, after bland pop
song.