[Wylug-help] Linux broadband woes!

James Holden james at jamesholden.net
Fri Oct 10 13:34:08 BST 2003

John Hodrien wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jim Jackson wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, tom smith wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm having a bizarre (to me!) problem with my broadband connection.
>>>I'm currently dual booting WinXP/SuSE 8.2 Pro and connect the internet via a
>>>Netgear ADSL Modem/Router (DM602).
>>>
>>>The internet connection is set up as DHCP over ethernet to the above router.
>>>
>>>My problem is the internet connection works fine in both OS's, so long as i
>>>boot up in windows first! If i boot to Linux first i get no internet
>>>although the device's IP address is set up by the DHCP, i can ping the
>>>router and use the web interface on the router.
>>>

>>has your linux setup got a defualt route? Use the /sbin/route command.
>>Should have an entry with a destination of "default".
>>
>>If it hasn't then set one up - not sure how you do in in Suse, but to test
>>do this as root
>>
>> # route add default gw ip_address_adsl_router
>>
>>then try and connect out.
>>
>>If the default route was there and correct then can you connect using just
>>numeric IP addresses? If so then check that the /etc/resolv.conf file is
>>set up correctly.
>>

>But how would either of those explain why it would work in Linux if he went
>into windows first?

[snip]

I may be some kind of driver problem with the NIC. I had a sound card like this at one time. You had to let Windows initialise it first, then it would work in Linux if you did a warm-reboot. I think it may have been a case of Windows dropping some firmware into it, or something. In this case, it may be something to do with buffers or something like that.

What kind of network card is it? Chipset name if possible.

James