[Wylug-help] Linux broadband woes!

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 16:24:25 BST 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, James Holden wrote:

> I may be some kind of driver problem with the NIC. I had a sound card like
> this at one time. You had to let Windows initialise it first, then it would
> work in Linux if you did a warm-reboot. I think it may have been a case of
> Windows dropping some firmware into it, or something. In this case, it may
> be something to do with buffers or something like that.
>
> What kind of network card is it? Chipset name if possible.

Now I still don't buy this (although another good suggestion).  There's no NIC
problem, since you can talk IP with the router, just not route over it.
There can't be any IP layer problem with the driver.

Now with sound cards that was a common issue, because the hardware needed to
be poked into a specific emulation mode (Microsoft Sound System, or Sound
Blaster Compat. typically), which held over a soft reboot, but the linux
drivers couldn't do.

I just don't see how that can apply when we have functional networking as far
as the router.  This is a real weirdo.

jh

--
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it
 through not dying."