[Wylug-help] Help! ssh broken?

James Holden (Wylug) wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Oct 22 10:58:58 BST 2003

Aargh!

I'm trying to get into a remote box some distance away, and I get:

$ ssh me at mybox.tld
$

Running with the -v flag gives:

OpenSSH_3.7.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.6k 30 Sep 2003
debug1: Connecting to mybox.tld[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x80685d0(0x0)

Anybody got any ideas what's happenned, before I get it rebooted?

It's an OpenBSD box and ssh worked fine yesterday. If I telnet to port
22 on the machine, it connects, but then the remote host closes the
connection.

I've tried from two known-working client machines, and via two different
ISP's (I'm connecting from home). No cigar.

Everything else is working fine, IMAPS, SMTP, HTTP. All OK.

The daily output from last night looks fine, OK on disk space and the
diffs only show up changes I made yesterday.

Nothing has changed at the remote end since yesterday, so I'm stumped.
The only thing I managed to find on Google was suggestions about
/etc/hosts.allow but nothing's changed.

Help!

James