[Wylug-help] Linux and GPRS

gARetH baBB hick at gink.org
Thu Oct 23 02:01:32 BST 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, James Holden (Wylug) wrote:

> * pppd doesn't do any authentication, the phone network takes care of
> that. pppd therefore needs the "noauth" option passing, but this means
> you can only bring the link up as root. There are ways around this
> though (sudo).

Erm, on Orange the user is Orange, and the password is Multimedia - on
both orangewap and orangeinternet - I've failed in the past because I've
not done this.

Unless it's changed recently, these were *required*.

> Orange is cheapest for GPRS in this country. In the USA you can have

Voda is cheaper in most circumstances, unless you pay *lots* of money for
large Orange GPRS bundle.