[Wylug-help] Small server distro

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Oct 27 09:13:25 GMT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Jon Stockill wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Dave Brotherstone wrote:
>
> > This is not a plea to start a flame war :)
> >
> > I'm looking for a decent distro that has a small footprint, installs easily,
> > and is flexible.  I am going to a (very) remote site, and need to set a
> > machine up such that I can access their network, but it's likely that the
> > machine I'm provided with will be "light" on resources.
>
> A basic slackware or debian install should do what you're after, and won't
> be too heavy on resources. Both will be fairly speedy to install - use
> whichever you're most familiar with.

A debian basic non-X install with full C/C++ devel tools libs all docs and
man pages and a fair bit of server software loaded on my small home server
at under 200M (server has 32M ram and is a national geode 233M processor -
equiv of a pentium 133 or less :-().

Even now with loadsa old logs etc (not /home though) it's still small....

/dev/hda6               909136    213064    649888  25% /

However I didn't find it quick to install. Using dselect to pick the
packages I needed was very slow & tedious. However once I'd done it, I
tar'd it up and saved it and have used this a a basis for quicker installs
on other machines, including a 386DX40 with 500M hard disk and 32M of ram.

Jim