[Wylug-help] Sharing An Internet Connection

lists at mungewell.org lists at mungewell.org
Tue Sep 23 09:11:57 BST 2003

Hi Thomas,
If your internet connection on the network (i.e. an ADSL router) then
the system should just work, however if you have dial-up, or an USB ADSL
modem, etc, which is connected to the machine then you must either
bridge or masq the ethernet onto the internet connection.

The best option is MASQ - this will take request from the Windows
machine, manipulate them and send them out the internet. When a reply
come it will demangle it and send it onto the Windows box.

It does have some pro/cons. So protocols don't like being MASQ'ed, and
unless you specifically set it up incoming connections direct to the
windows machine are not possible.

In order to configure for MASQ you may need to reconfigure the kernel.

The MASQ howto is a good source of information, tells you how to do it
all.

Hope this helps,
Simon.