[Wylug-help] VOIP anybody?

Jon Stockill jon at stockill.org.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:10:04 BST 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk wrote:

> I've trawled the web and found lots of conflicting stuff so I'd
> appreciate hearing from anyone in Wylug who has experience of using VoIP
> for actually doing things. In particular, I'd love to be able to use
> VoIP between the two offices that we have rather than using landlines. I
> know there are handsets available, but in view of the conflicting
> information I'm finding on the web, someone with real life experience
> would be much preferable.
>
> So - has anyone found a 'workable' use for this stuff, something that
> isn't a swine to install and that can be used for actual conversations?

Grab asterisk, install it on a box, and have a play. If you want some SIP
phones on a budget then the grandstream budgetones are reasonable phones
for about 50 quid each*. If you're wanting to do office to office then a
machine running asterisk at each end with an IAX trunk between them will
allow you to use lower bandwidth codecs between offices. If you've got
lots of bandwidth then just one box with phones at the other office
registering directly will be ok.

* www.telappliant.com

--
Jon Stockill