[Wylug-help] VOIP anybody?

Martyn Ranyard martyn at syn.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:59:35 BST 2004

Quoting Jon Stockill <jon at stockill.org.uk>:
> Grab asterisk, install it on a box, and have a play. If you want some SIP
> phones on a budget then the grandstream budgetones are reasonable phones
> for about 50 quid each*. If you're wanting to do office to office then a
> machine running asterisk at each end with an IAX trunk between them will
> allow you to use lower bandwidth codecs between offices. If you've got
> lots of bandwidth then just one box with phones at the other office
> registering directly will be ok.

I was about to mention asterix, along with bayonne - they both "appear" to have
had not much work on them recently, but actually have.  Bayonne has one
advantage : it'll run on non-linux boxen (bsd and eventually win32).

I'm about to play with both, but on an isdn basis rather than a voip basis, I'll
keep people posted and maybe do a talk (this time with slides -grin).

--
Martyn Ranyard
Development Manager