[Wylug-help] Firewall Reports

Marc Jennings marc at chillijam.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 11:24:49 BST 2004

Hi,

I am getting email reports from my home firewall telling me that various
ports are being scanned from a user on the same subnet as me.  The ports
being scanned (in order or report) are :-

139, 6129, 1025, 445, 3127, 6129, 139, 135, 139

By the duplication of the ports, I'd assume this is either viral
activity, or a script being run.  Does anybody know of any script-kiddie
tools or virii that would produce this scan?  I have reported the user
to his ISP on each occasion that the attacks take place, but even my
read receipts don't seem to come back.

I know that port scanning is fairly commonplace these days, and that I
probably shouldn't worry too much about it, but I would hate to think
what would happen if my firewall wasn't in place.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
Marc.