[Wylug-help] Contentious sigs........

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Apr 27 20:49:10 BST 2004

John's psychic sig generator[1] has come up with one that I say is
contentious, even though it's author is pretty illustrious.....

> "Computer science is as much about computers as astronomy is about
>  telescopes."                                        -- Edsgar Wybe Dijkstra

I'd say it's contentious because essentially computer science with out a
computing engine of some sort would be a theoretically abstract subject,
Turing had to invent an abstract computing engine to start to develop some
of the science.

Whereas astronomy is astronomy with or without a telescope.

Suspect Dijkstra was uncharacteristally carried away in an argument
somewhere and lost the plot.

Jim

[1] It's infamous on the local.news sytem here in the school of computing.
    Some people think the sigs aren't random at all