[Wylug-help] internet connection sharing question

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Sat Aug 14 10:30:36 BST 2004

Hi Anne,

> Can I take it that the lan part is working correctly?  You can ping the other
> boxes and the router?  If so, it's simply a matter of setting the router ip
> as gateway to get Internet connection.  I don't know the netgear router, but
> I assume that they mostly work the same way.  From a browser, typing in the
> ip of the router should give you a login page for setting up the router.
> This should work even before you have Internet access, as long as the router
> and the lan are all using the same workgroup settings.  The default settings
> should be in the manual.  Once in you can change passwords etc..  Usually you
> can use ftp from a console as an alternative means of access.

Not got to the lan!  Everything lights up like a christmas tree, showing the
connection is up and running; and cables from PCs to Router are connected and
lighting up on the cards and on the router. In this respect, all seems ok.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to connect to the default address via browser - so I
can't configure or get internet access (can'r display web pages).  I've been
reading up and it seems that the Mandrake internet/sharing wizards can be a
problem.  I also need to set up for DHCP before hand. I did actually once get a
connection, but somehow managed to lose it and couldn't get it back so I did a
clean install - a couple of times now.(which shows the kit is at least working
and the problem is likelty to be a config issue).

My concern is, this  as is time consuming - which in itself is OK - however,
until I am able to resolve this, with all the lights on and showing activity -
is my system in any way vulnerable - until I can get to the default address and
configure my connection to the internet?

Chris.
This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk