[Wylug-help] Cable Modem Woe

hpaul at fish.co.uk hpaul at fish.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 17:57:37 BST 2004

Hello All,

   Apologies for any missed detail, newbie here...

   Evesham PC, Athlon XP1800, 512 RAM, nVidia card,
   Blueyonder broadband via Scientific Atlanta cable modem (no
   ethernet card - usb connection to PC)

   Recently tried out Mandrake 9.2 & liked it a lot. Got cable modem
   to work by a modprobe instruction to load CDCEther, which I later
   added to modules file in /etc to effect "internet-ready" boot-up.

   So far so good. But then I tried out Mandrake 10.0 from magazine CDs
   & couldn't get onto the internet. This is apparently because kernel
   2.6x drops CDCEther in favour of usbnet. Decided to go back to 9.2
   and have done a complete re-install (although not reversing partitions)
   but I am unable to get internet access using CDCEther which worked
   before, or usbnet. I am fairly sure I am back to kernel 2.4.22
   (how do I check BTW?) & have tried CDCEther as modprobe and as modules
   file addition, but to no avail.

   Can anyone help with this one? I believe that using an NIC card &
   ethernet cable would not work because of the way blueyonder uses
   MAC address, so I cannot go down that route - or at least, as it is
   working with Windows they probably wouldn't send an engineer out to
   fix it.

   Yours hopefully

   Paul Hardy
   Wakefield W Yorks