[Wylug-help] Problems recognising CDRW

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Sat Aug 21 23:43:21 BST 2004

Hi all

thanks to all the responses last week in helping me resolve internet connection
sharing with my Netgear router/Mandrake OS.  There was a couple of minor config
issues in MDK which I resolved, and also, everytime I rebooted, the MDK
firewall kept on firing up - even though I thought I'd shut it down.   I
eventually worked out how to overcome this - I'm a newbie now with tired eyes,
but hey, I have eventually managed to connect and get my family network on
Mandrake 9.2

I have another problem - hardware related.

Home network running 3 pcs -nothing flash, very basic.  Mandrake installion
chewed up my 3 LG CDR's. So,

In box 1, i replaced it with an old CDR and it works fine.

Box 2 - installed a new Philps CDRW (PCRW5232) which works fine.

Box 3 - again, a new Philips PCRW5232 - I get a desk-top icon recognising the
CDRW, but it will not read *any* discs. I have swapped it and installed it into
 box 2 and then it works OK.  I have tried the old CDR from box 1 in box 3 and
that works - so the cable is OK.  Also, even with BIOS set to boot from CD, it
instead boots from the hard drive.  I have tried to reinstall/update Mandake,
and have tried a live cd (knoppix) - but absolutely no activity occurs in box 3
CDRW.

Any ideas?

Chris.

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk