[Wylug-help] Problems recognising CDRW

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 08:12:58 BST 2004

On Saturday 21 Aug 2004 23:43, C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> thanks to all the responses last week in helping me resolve internet
> connection sharing with my Netgear router/Mandrake OS.  There was a couple
> of minor config issues in MDK which I resolved, and also, everytime I
> rebooted, the MDK firewall kept on firing up - even though I thought I'd
> shut it down.   I eventually worked out how to overcome this - I'm a newbie
> now with tired eyes, but hey, I have eventually managed to connect and get
> my family network on Mandrake 9.2

Hi, Chris.

First, can I introduce you to the Mandrake Community TWiki?  Follow the link
in my sig to get you to the front page.

> I have another problem - hardware related.
>
> Home network running 3 pcs -nothing flash, very basic.  Mandrake installion
> chewed up my 3 LG CDR's. So,

Don't throw them away withoug checking with LG's website.  There is a fix for
this that will resurrect them, I understand.

> In box 1, i replaced it with an old CDR and it works fine.
>
> Box 2 - installed a new Philps CDRW (PCRW5232) which works fine.
>
> Box 3 - again, a new Philips PCRW5232 - I get a desk-top icon recognising
> the CDRW, but it will not read *any* discs. I have swapped it and installed
> it into box 2 and then it works OK.  I have tried the old CDR from box 1 in
> box 3 and that works - so the cable is OK.  Also, even with BIOS set to
> boot from CD, it instead boots from the hard drive.  I have tried to
> reinstall/update Mandake, and have tried a live cd (knoppix) - but
> absolutely no activity occurs in box 3 CDRW.

Can't help with that one, except to say that if you can't boot from it, it
sounds like a bios problem, not a Mandrake one.  What mobo does that box
have?  I'll see if I can dredge up anything that could help.  It's also worth
checking the mobo manufacturers website to see if there is a bios upgrade.

Another resource that you should know about is easyurpmi.  All packages that
are on the disks and many others besides are available for download.
Packages that can't be distributed by Mandrake for licensing or other legal
reasons are available from plf.  To set up sources go to urpmi.org/easyurpmi.
Select as required from all the dropdown boxes and it will give you commands
to copy and paste into a root console.  They will set up all required
sources.  If you are using a broadband access I recommend that you do that
for *all* available resources and then use Mandrake Control Center to disable
the cd sources.

Mandrake Newbie and Expert mailing lists are very helpful, but also very heavy
traffic, and the Newbie list has a strong signal/noise problem, IMO.  HTH

Anne
- --
Registered Linux User No.293302