[Wylug-help] Problems recognising CDRW

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 16:06:14 BST 2004

On Tuesday 24 Aug 2004 15:53, C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk wrote:

> from root [su] I entered update-menus -v and then as user I entered
> update-menus -v.
>
> Going back into the GUI (startx) and it appears that my icons and
> programmes have reappeared.  Thank you :)

Good.  It feels good when you've got yourself out of a scrape lilke that
doesn't it ;-)

> Well, that's one major problem over, so, how do I go back to my original
> problem of downloading and installing updates?    This problem occured
> through using the MCC - selecting security updates to download and install.
>  Is there a way of finding out what downloads have been installed and
> where?

If updates have complete you don't need to worry about them at all.  They will
have been downloaded and installed for you and the downloaded files will have
been removed since they are already needed.  The database will also have been
updated, so the update routine will know that you don't need them again.

The only problem is if something has interfered before they complete, that is,
when you found you had a problem.  If that is so any completed downloads that
are not installed will be in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms.  If you have any packages
there, right-click them and open with Software Installer.  That will complete
the installation and update the database.

OTOH, if they haven't completed re-starting Updates from Mandrake Control
Center will still offer them.  Select them along with any others that are
left.  They will not be downloaded again.  Any others will be downloaded and
then all that are in the cache directory will be installed.

> In trying to understand the comands I've just used to resolve this issue,
> what are the components of the command 'update-menus -v' obviously 'update'
> speaks for itself, but what of 'menus and -v'

- From 'man update-menus':

UPDATE-MENUS(1)                                                UPDATE-MENUS(1)

NAME
       update-menus - generate Debian menu system

SYNOPSIS
       update-menus [-v] [-d] [-h|--help] [--menufilesdir <dir>] [--menumethod
       <method>] [--nodefaultdirs] [--stdout]

DESCRIPTION
       Before the advent  of  update-menus,  when  the  system  administrators
       installed a package onto a Debian system, they would need to edit vari-
       ous window manager configuration files to make the new program show  up
       on,  for  example,  fvwm's  menus. The menus could easily become out of
       sync with what programs were actually available, with some  menu  items
       that didn't work, and other programs that lacked a menu entry.  update-
       menus and Debian's menu package aim to solve this problem.

       update-menus automatically generates menus of  installed  programs  for
       window  managers  and  other menu programs. It should be run whenever a
       menufile(5) or menu-method file is changed.  update-menus will  be  ran
       automatically   when  Debian  packages  that  contain  menu  files  are
       installed or removed from the system.

       update-menus  uses  the   package-supplied   menu   entry   files   (in
       /usr/lib/menu)  for  its  information  about the menus (but this can be
       overruled by the system administrator/user, see below). If a menu entry
       file  is  executable, update-menus execute the menu entry file, and use
       its stdout to generate the menu database.

OPTIONS
       -v     Verbose output. Shows all  arguments  to  the  /etc/menu-methods
              programs.

There's lots more there.  Man pages become very useful, though at first you
sometimes feel that they are double-dutch.

> Thanks again Anne.

No problem. Glad to help

Anne
- --